The sunrise

The night was short as we got up at 4am, quickly packed everything and moved to the lighthouse. It wasn’t that easy to get up, as we had all our equipment on us and we weren’t really awake. But we made it, setup our equipment and waited. From yesterday we knew, that the sunrise should be between 5 and 5:30, so we started to film it to be able to run it acceleratedly in the movie.

East Cape lighthouse

Actually it took much longer, but at the end we were able to spot the Sun just below the clouds which were everywhere. Wonderful, it was just to windy and cold, hard to survive just on cookies we took with us.


Then was time for proper breakfast. Some family parked just next to us, parents went up and teenagers just sit there, with headphone on listening music. Of course, Vlada and Tomas had to mimic them. Very funny, not sure, if boys took it. It was also perfect time to prepare next part for the Beat radio.


It took just one hour to find the guy from yesterday. Pretty good result, considered we didn’t even know his name. The bad thing on people here is (or at least on Maories), that they don’t want to admit they don’t know. So the first one sent us somewhere and we got to the city near by finally, where they did know and after to more stops and elaboration we finally found him. Spent about 4 hours with him, getting to know their culture, how they lived in their „pa sites“ and how they homes looked like. It was interesting, as they lived on hillside of steep hill, with the oldest living at the bottom part. When someone wanted to fight with them, they would find (after long climbing) some old people siting in their pa and, hopefully, decided to leave them.

He also showed us healing shrub, cabbage tree (and we tasted it), then we took a look on some old books and spent another hour talking with his daughter about nowadays. It is interesting that they still have a lot of children, usually from 5 up to 15. Our last stop was in their Marae, which is kind of assembly building with nice decoration. And there is a lot of tradition when receiving visitors.

It took a lot of effort to hit the road again and we didn’t go for a long. In Te Araroa we admired the biggest Pohutukawa tree in New Zealand and then hit the road properly – direction Gisborne. It was long way, with short stop for the Internet and finally, around midninght, we stopped somewhere next to the road. Didn’t have any problem with sleep, but in the morning Vlada asked us if we heared the trucks whole night. No, we did not.

Leave a Reply